Menu:

We have been awarded:

Visit Britain Quality in Tourism 4 Star status

 

The Old Dairy, Grinkle Park Farm was once part of the great Grinkle Park Estate which belonged for centuries to the Conyers-Middleton family and its descendants, The "seat" of Grinkle was then an old Mansion House. During the Industrial Revolution of the nineteenth century the North East of England saw many changes and Grinkle did not escape these. One of the great Industrialists of the time, Sir Charles Mark Palmer, whose influence on the area was enormous, was to bring great changes to Grinkle. Charles Mark Palmer 1822-1907 was an example of industrial genius. He was successful with enterprises such as the transportation of coal and coke, the mining of iron stone, the manufacture of iron and steel and he was the world's largest ship builder!

His motto was "Par Sit Fortuna Labor" - let the success be equal to the labour. In 1865 Charles Palmer bought the Grinkle Park Estate that was then considered to be in poor condition and not suitable for cultivation. This, as with many things, proved to be wrong. In the following years Mr Palmer bought up neighbouring lands and expanded the Estate to some 3000 acres.

In 1881 the old mansion of Grinkle was demolished and Alfred Waterhouse was commissioned to build a house befitting the wealthy and now titled landowner, Sir Charles Palmer. This is now Grinkle Park Hotel a 10 minute walk away and the arms of the Palmer family can still be found over the entrance porch. Grinkle Park Farm was a designated "show farm" ensconced in the grounds.

  Charles Palmer provided work and prosperity for many local people and they were hugely grateful to him. He created good land from bad and made sure the poor and needy were content. Indeed, when he did return from his travels the locals would meet him at Easington, unyoke his horses and the carriages were drawn with great excitement by the people to the Hall in a great procession consisting of schoolchildren, with many others to the sound of music from Hinderwell & Loftus bands amidst the noise of cannons which were kept firing for some time. In 1947 the estate was sold and divided. Sir Charles Mark Palmer (1822-1907) Baronet of Grinkle, lies buried in the graveyard of Easington All Saints Church.

Grinkle Park Farm was bought by the current owners the Muir family in 1961 and is still operated as a working farm with approx 350 acres of arable land. The Old Dairy was just that in the late 1800's, it has since been used as a boar house for pigs and now its new use as a holiday cottage opening for business in July 2007. The Old Dairy, Grinkle Park Farm cottage is situated on our working farm which is also our home. Located between the unspoiled rugged coastline and within the North Yorkshire Moors National Park, it started life as a dairy and has had many uses over the years including a workshop, farrowing house, weaner house and boar house. We spent the latter half of 2006 and until July 2007 renovating and changing the building into the holiday cottage it is today. We hope you enjoy your stay with us - we are very much open to any comments or suggestions you may have, good or bad.

There are many picturesque villages and historic market towns to explore within easy driving distance and a little further is the famous and ancient city of York which makes a great day out. The North York Moors steam railway which runs from Pickering to Grosmont is of particular note for a nostalgic trip running through "Heartbeat country, so called because of the popular television series filmed in Goathland (Aidensfield), Whitby and surrounding countryside.. The delightful coastal villages of Staithes, Runswick Bay and Robin Hoods Bay are all within easy distance and well worth a visit. The North Yorkshire Visitor Centre is just 4 miles away at Danby (with quaint village pubs and tearooms). In the other direction Guisborough is a large ancient market town and Stokesley a little further is home to some individual shops. If you need any advice or information please feel free to ask.